Sunday, March 18, 2012

Hummingbird Nectar

Well today I brought out the hummingbird feeder to find the flowers needed to be repainted so I tackled that. Next was to find a recipe for hummingbird nectar and fill the feeder. I remembered my friend at sparing-change.blogspot.com had posted one last year so I hopped over to her blog and found it.


Hummingbird Nectar(4:1)

Ingredients:

Water
Sugar


Directions:

Heat water in microwave for 3-5 minutes or until hot
Add sugar
Stir until sugar has dissolved
Let nectar cool to room temperature
Fill feeder(s)
Store remaining nectar in the refrigerator for up to two weeks

Side Note:
It is not good for the hummingbird food to stay in the feeder for more than a week.  Otherwise, it tends to get moldy or cloudy.  For this reason, I make smaller batches of hummingbird nectar and refill the feeders more often.  Many times, I make 1 or 2 cups of nectar with ¼ cup or ½ cup of sugar.  Or, I make the full 4 cups and keep the extra nectar in a glass jar in the refrigerator so I can easily refill their feeders.

My note:
When you heat water in the microwave it loosens up cooked on food. After the water is finished, take a few minutes and wipe down the inside of your microwave.

No comments:

Post a Comment