Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Chickens

Good evening everyone.  I hope tonight finds you all well. What have you been up to?  As for me, I have been doing things around the house and finding things to help my family become more self sufficient. 

A few days ago we got baby chicks and purchased a used chicken coop. A few days after that we were offered 4 laying hens so we purchased them as well. We ordered a pen and all the supplies, did a curb side pick up and started getting things ready. We even got our first egg today! The babies are Bantam of some sort, a silver laced wyandotte, and 4 barred rock. The hens are 2 Rhode Island Red and 2 black sexlink. Now here's hoping none of the babies are roosters!




We cleaned, power washed and painted the coop. We got it moved tonight and hopefully tomorrow we will get the pen up. Then hens have been housed in a large dog crate at night in the basement but tonight they are spending the night in the new coop. I pray we have it secure enough! Below are the before and after pictures.

I am so excited for all the yummy eggs to come! Maybe in the future we will try our hand at meat chickens and/or turkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment