Thursday, April 2, 2020

Extracts

I have been making my own extracts for a while now. It is so simple and the taste in incredible!

Vanilla Extract
7-10 Vanilla Beans (I get Madagascar beans off Amazon)
8oz vodka or rum (I use vodka)

Run a knife lengthwise down the center of the bean to open it up. Chop the bean into 1" pieces. Place into a clean jar/bottle (I use a brown tinted bottle). Pour the alcohol over until beans are completely submerged. Put on lid and shake.

Place Jar in cool dark spot. Shake every few days for about 6 weeks.  The longer you go the more intense the flavor becomes.  I refill as needed and get several uses out of the beans.

Mint Extract

3/4 cup - 1 cup mint leaves
vodka

rinse and pat dry leaves. Roll and crush leaves between fingers. Place into a clean glass jar (I use a brown bottle).  Pour vodka over until fully submerged.  Put on lid and shake.

Place Jar in cool dark spot. Shake every few days for about 6 weeks.  The longer you go the more intense the flavor becomes.  Once its at the desired strength, strain and discard leaves.


No comments:

Post a Comment