Saturday, January 28, 2012

It shows in the numbers.....

We have all heard it time and time again..exercise is good for you and important to your body. So how many of you actually exercise? I don't mean cleaning, working in the yard or whatever household or job related activity you do. I am talking about taking time out each day or every other day to do some deliberate exercise such as lifting weights, walking, or something similar.

I will be the first to admit that I only do it occasionally and I go through spells where I will exercise consistently then stop all together. It is a vicious cycle for me and one I really need to conquer.

I will use my boyfriend as a perfect example...He takes several medicines day and night for cholesterol, diabetes etc.. Well during the months of September 2010 thru May 2011 he was very diligent in going to the gym 3-4 times a week to get in some cardio on one of the machines and to use some of the weight machines.  He was able to decrease his diabetes medicines and when the doctor did bloodwork his numbers were great. Well then summer rolls around and he figures he will get enough exercise working out in the yard and stops going to the gym. It wasn't long and he not only had to increase his medicines to where they were but eventually had to go even higher as the months passed and his numbers weren't good on his next set of tests.

Just recently  he started back to the gym and guess what? You got it...his numbers are going back down to the point where he may have to adjust the dosage of his insulin. 

So there's the proof! Exercise is a key ingredient to feeling better and being healthier. Get in the habit but don't burn yourself out. If you happen to get in a rut don't quit. I know easier said than done but we can all do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment